New Bay Bridge in San Francisco, CalTrans specified 50% of the Portland cement to be replaced with 50% GGBFS
Concrete is one of the most, if not the most, versatile building materials in the world allowing for any form and allowing the construction of structures of great size and scale. Its popularity can be seen in the fact that it is the second most widely consumed resource in the world. Only the use of water as a resource exceeds it.
With the entry of Orcem into the American market, there is increased opportunity to produce concrete that is superior in almost every way to the typical concrete. Concrete made with Orcem is:
- Less prone to thermal cracking
- More durable
- More impermeable (reducing the risk of steel reinforcement corrosion)
- More resistant to attack from sea water
- More resistant to sulfate attack
- More resistant to alkali silica attack
- More resistant to fire
These advantages have been recognized in many countries around the world for decades, backed by years of research and field-testing.